Hey, I’m Tom
I know my tutorials are about SEO, but can we be real for a sec?
Many of us, including me, are struggling financially. I have personally been broke my whole life… my credit card just got declined the other day :/
I’ve been working on this website for 5 years and have wanted to quit more times than I can count (and if it wasn’t for your guy’s awesome feedback in the comments I probably would’ve). But you guys kept telling me to ‘keep it up’ and you’re ‘looking forward to the next tutorial.’ You guys fucking rock.
In the last 4 months my site traffic tripled. Now over a thousand people read my tutorials every day. For the first time in my life (January 2017) I made $9,000 in 1 month which is literally 50% of my last year’s income.
That’s why I look happy in the picture :)
And that’s why it’s only fair to spread the love. You guys trusted me when I recommended stuff (specifically SiteGround’s hosting). Now it’s my turn…
Starting this year I will donate $3,000 to a GoFundMe campaign. The campaign will be chosen and the donation will be made by the end of the year (December 2017). I will post the results here. I’m thinking cancer, children, animals, tragic events that happened to good people… something like that. Hopefully this surprise donation will help change someone’s life. If you would like to suggest a cause on GoFundMe, feel free to contact me.
The more affiliate sales I get the more I will raise the donation. My accountant says I won’t get a tax break but fuck it, we’re doing it anyway.
50 Random And Disturbing Things About Me
- I live in Chicago.
- I’m moving to Colorado.
- I love Indian food.
- I love Thai food.
- I love food.
- I was born in 1988.
- I’m 6’2″ and 220 pounds.
- I like falling asleep to serial killer documentaries.
- I make most of my money through affiliate programs for WordPress.
- I went to a zoo recently for the first time. It was sad and I’ll never go back.
- I once rented a book from the library and lost it. The title of the book was “What’s Gone Is Gone.”
- The first day I got my drivers license I got pulled over for going 37 in a 25. I told my parents I had a blocker.
- I once fell 30 feet while swinging on a tree rope. When I hit the ground it bruised me up and left a scar on the side of my abdomen. Now it grows hair and I need to shave it sometimes.
- I once got fined $200 for puking in an Uber. After puking on the driver my friends and I got kicked out of his car, I stripped down to nothing but boxers, threw my puked-soaked clothes in a Mobil garbage can, and woke up naked.
- I used to drink a lot, now I don’t.
- Now I’m a health and exercise maniac.
- I play the piano (scroll down to see a pic).
- I play the drums (favorite drummer is Danny Carey from Tool).
- I kicked a 60 yard field goal multiple times.
- I played soccer in the Barcelona Cup as a sweeper.
- I’m OK with telling you I don’t like Donald Trump.
- I dated a girl with borderline personality disorder.
- I’m single now (hi ladies!).
- I’m a veteran in Rocket League. Savage! No problem.
- I went kayak surfing on the ocean’s white caps in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
- I painted houses at an Indian reservation in Pine Ridge, South Dakota, the poorest place in the US.
- I passed the GMAT and had a full assistantship for a Masters in marketing. I built this website instead. Glad I did.
- I almost died from a staph infection and had a creative protein level of 131 when the normal is 14. I was saved by Dr. Perkins at the SIUC health center when he drove me to the ER in his personal car where I got emergency surgery. It was the highest CRP level the doctors have even seen. They did a study on me for medical journals. I’m OK now :)
- My friends and I play the game Trouble… for money.
- I love slickdeals.net (thank me later).
- I graduated college from SIUC with a marketing degree (Go Salukis!!!!).
- I get anxiety when I drink coffee. Now I drink tea out of an espresso maker.
- I prefer cats over dogs unless the dog is a Husky, which I plan on getting very soon.
- I got arrested in high school for growing 16 pot plans on my parent’s roof. I spent a few hours in jail. That was a tough year.
- I’m an analytical libra.
- I had a lisp with buck teeth and an overbite.
- I had 6 wisdom teeth pulled out.
- My mouth was completely fucked.
- I have built 15 sick beer pong tables.
- I can play the SVU theme song on the piano.
- My favorite song right now is Sexual Healing by JChosen on The Voice.
- A girl who can sing can usually melt my heart.
- I can rap a few Eminem songs (or at least attempt to).
- Over a million people have read my tutorials.
- I’m Google Anaytics certified.
- I designed WordPress sites before SEO.
- I usually don’t like designing websites unless it’s my own.
- I don’t like it when people try to get free SEO consulting from me.
- I don’t like when people try to take advantage of other people (it’s unpaid but it will be suuuuch a good experience). Bullshit.
- I got the t-shirt (from photo above) from my brother. Thanks bro.
Learn From My Mistakes…
Here’s a screenshot of my Google Analytics over the last few years…
The plummet was primarily due to using a theme from ThemeForest (which got discontinued and wasn’t updated by the developer). So I redesigned my site using a theme from StudioPress… but you can tell the launch didn’t go as planned. Traffic plummeted and my analytics went into a flatline for 2 years (looking back I suspect it was due to changing permalinks and mediocre content that targeted all the wrong keywords).
So I worked on improving content, improving content, and improving more content. I also changed hosts to SiteGround, made my site faster, look better, fixed technical errors, and basically did everything listed in my SEO tutorials. Traffic finally did go up again, and that’s where we are today.
I don’t pretend I don’t make mistakes, but I don’t want you to go through this with your own SEO… it wasn’t fun and it can literally ruin your business. It almost did for me :/
This tutorial will help you avoid many common SEO mistakes you may be doing right now.
Me And My Crew (Some Recent, Some Not)
Where’s Waldo? Squished under 3 men…
Way back when…
Upcoming Changes To The Website
- Improve core tutorials on my homepage
- Add more videos to those core tutorials
- Add a “videos” section to my navigation menu
- Keep core tutorials completely up to date
- Create a complete guide to WordPress SEO
- Write a beginner’s guide on Google Analytics
- Write a definitive tutorial to image optimization
- Write a more definitive guide to content optimization
- Partner with legitimate SEO companies to refer people to
- After that, just keep writing more WordPress SEO tutorials
Thank You To…
Pronaya, My WordPress Developer – can you believe I’ve been working with the same overseas WordPress developer for 5 years? I’m telling you if you need development help, hire Pronaya. Skilled, timely, affordable ($25/hour), and awesome communication. He has helped me build this website and over 20 client websites (back when I did WordPress design). Even when I was too poor to afford him, he just said “pay me back later.” That’s the kind of person Pronaya is. He can help with speed optimization, theme customization, theme migration, website launches, PSD to WordPress, fixing mobile errors, security issues, Magento and plenty of other technical WordPress stuff. Pronaya you are SO AMAZING!!!!!
SiteGround – they’re literally changing my life as we speak. About 80% of my income comes from endorsing SiteGround’s hosting. I promoted them voluntarily, but since then they have reached out and have been extremely helpful and supportive with both hosting and affiliate marketing. The’re #1 in this Facebook poll for a reason. If you want to learn more about them, see my SiteGround WordPress hosting review.
You – yes, you. Thank you for sticking around :)